Todd Sukdolak, Director of Athletics, Health and Wellness
Lockport High School
250 Lincoln Avenue, Lockport, NY 14094
Phone: 716-478-4473 Fax: 716-478-4518
Reference: Policy 5661 in the policy manual.
The Lockport City School District has a wellness council that is represented by:
- The Board of Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- Community Organizations
The Lockport City School District's Wellness Council is responsible for the implementation of the district's wellness policy, according to current federal and state regulations and guidelines. The committee meets at regular intervals during the school year. Annual goals are identified through review of current literature, regulations for wellness in schools and interest of students and families. The Lockport City School District is committed to the provision of health promotion and wellness initiatives which maximize the students ability to learn. Our goal is for every child to arrive at school, at a level of maximum wellness, ready to learn.
Areas the council addresses include:
- A commitment to nutrition and physical activity.
- Quality school meals which adhere to current nutritional guidelines.
- Healthy food options offered during curricular and extracurricular events.
- Tobacco School Policy and Implementation.
- Safe and pleasant eating environment.
- Nutrition education.
- Health education aligned with NYS standards
- Staff Wellness
- School parties and celebrations.
- Anti-Bullying initiatives
- Research shows a strong link between student achievement and student wellness. Wellness initiatives that promote student achievement include efforts aimed at promoting physical activity, nutrition, social, intellectual, career and spiritual health.
Student wellness results in better attendance, higher levels of academic performance, and better attitudes about school. That’s why the Federal Government has encouraged all schools to develop, implement and maintain a wellness policy that recommends a community and school partnership in helping children experience better wellness.
Information found on this website will provide you with nutrition, physical activity and wellness recommendations for your student and their family. It includes strategies for preventing or coping with, childhood obesity, a serious problem for children today.
Parents, Students & Educators are encouraged to be involved in the continuous development of our wellness program. The Federal Government recognizes the critical role of schools in curbing the epidemic of childhood obesity and encourages schools, in partnership with families, to create an environment that promotes healthy lifestyle choices.