Student Community Volunteerism
Lockport Locks District Volunteer Opportunities - 16 & Up
Lockport Lock Tenders - Learn how to operate the Lockport Locks!
- Lock Tenders demonstrate for visitors the manual operation of the wooden lock gates of Locks 68, 69, and 70 in the Flight of Five as well as locking through our early 1800's replica canal boat, the Erie Traveler. Locks Demonstrations take place every Saturday from 11 AM – 1 PM, July through September.
Locks District Guides
- Locks District Guides greet visitors to the Locks District on Saturdays from 11 AM – 1 PM in conjunction with the Locks Demonstrations. Guides lead visitors to points of interest in the Locks area and provide information regarding the history of the Erie Canal and the Lockport Locks. Guides also direct visitors to the Locks District Museum and the Erie Canal Discovery Center as well as related sources of information to enhance the quality of their visit to Lockport and the Lockport Locks.
Flight of Five Lock Tenders Tour Docents
- Tour Docents lead the Flight of Five Lock Tenders Tour, a 1 ½ hour narrated walking tour of the Locks District, Monday through Friday at 11 AM, July 1 through September 17.
Flight of Five Lock Tenders Tour Chaperones
- Chaperones welcome visitors to the Flight of Five Lock Tenders Tour, sign in all visitors and assist Tour Docents in the conduct of the Flight of Five Lock Tenders Tour as well as assure the safety of visitors on the tour.
Locks District Booth Canal Ambassadors
- Canal Ambassadors staff the Locks District Booth on Canal Street on Saturdays from 9 AM – 2 PM during July 3 through September 11. Canal Ambassadors provide information regarding Lockport’s Erie Canal attractions, encourage visitors to view the Saturday Locks Demonstrations, and offer Locks District merchandise for sale.
Locks District Flower Tenders
- Flower Tenders plant and care for the flowers and landscape beds in the Locks District. In addition, Flower Tenders assist with weed control, trimming, and litter control.
HOW TO BE A LOCKS DISTRICT VOLUNTEER (must be 16 or older):