Sophomores will have the opportunity to become familiar with the Niagara-Orleans Career & Technical Programs this school year. This fall, BOCES representatives will present a video to provide an overview of the programs offered at the Education Centers. Interested sophomores will then have an opportunity to tour the Educational Centers in January.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR BOCES STUDENTS
- School grades: The student’s school record must indicate the ability to do work in the course chosen. Also, the students must have passed the required subjects in grades 9 and 10 in order to be able to graduate on schedule.
- School Attendance: The student’s attendance record is looked at very closely. Several career and technical courses require licensing by the State. In order to qualify to take the state licensing exam, a student must have been in attendance the necessary number of days.
- School Behavior and Study Habits: Career and technical students have a great deal more freedom from supervision than the average high school student. They must demonstrate that they are mature enough to cope with this freedom and not abuse it.
The final decision as to which students are selected to attend the career and technical programs at BOCES is made by the
principal, assistant principals, and the school counselors. These decisions are, of course, made within the limits outlined by
the Lockport Board of Education and the Board of Cooperative Educational Services.
Medina Site Programs:
- Allied Health
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering
- Auto Body Repair
- Automotive Technician
- Building Trades
- Computer Technician
- Culinary Arts
- Diesel Technology/Heavy Equipment
- Early Childhood Education
- Electricity & Electronics
- Graphic Communications
- Health Occupation Technician
- Personal Trainer
- Security and Law Enforcement
Sanborn Site Programs:
- Animation and Video Production
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Fashion Design & Interior Decorating
- Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- Project Based Engineering
- Web Development & Game Programming
STUDENTS AND PARENTS MUST BE MINDFUL THAT BOCES ATTENDANCE IS BASED ON SOPHOMORE YEAR'S ATTENDANCE, TARDINESS AND READINESS FOR JUNIOR YEAR STATUS. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT YOUR CHILD'S SCHOOL COUNSELOR FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT BOCES.
For more information, visit https://www.onboces.org/domain/23
Students who attend BOCES will have a limited schedule at Lockport High School. Juniors who attend leave at the beginning of 6th period and return at 3 PM. Seniors who attend BOCES leave at the beginning of 1st period at return at 11:30
A Junior year mock schedule might look like:
Period 1 - English
Period 2 - Social Studies
Period 3 - Math
Period 4 - Science
Period 5 - Phys. Ed
Periods 6-9 - BOCES
A Senior year mock schedule might look like: (seniors may elect to either have lunch or early release)
Periods 1-5 - BOCES
Period 6 - Phys. Ed
Period 7 - English
Period 8 - Social Studies
Period 9 - Early Release
These schedules may change based on student graduation requirements, master schedule specifications, and specific program requirements.