Lockport City School District Visual & Performing Arts
Our website is intended for students, parents/guardians, staff, alumni and community members who want to be informed and inspired by the Lockport City School District's Visual and Performing Arts Programs. The Visual and Performing Arts include the Art Department, Music Department and Theatre Department.
As we begin the 2020-2021 school year, the Lockport City School District’s Music Department would like to assure you that the safety of your children is our number one priority while providing them the opportunity to perform in band and chorus. Although these restrictions can be challenging, the Music Department will continue to provide your child with the best possible music education while adhering to the New York State guidelines.
Below are some details regarding the Lockport City School District’s plans for band and chorus for the 2020-2021 school year:
As per NYS guidelines, students will be spaced at a 12-foot distance while playing wind instruments or singing.
- Grades 4-6
- Band lessons will be offered for students, both in-person and remotely. The schedule will not require students to miss the same class more than once per marking period.
- 4th grade students will have the opportunity to join band and learn an instrument. Further details will be sent home during the first few weeks of school.
- Full band and chorus rehearsals will not take place at the beginning of the school year. These rehearsals will begin once students and teachers have become adjusted to the new hybrid/remote school year.
- 4th grade students will have the opportunity to join chorus, once all choruses and bands begin rehearsing.
- Grades 7-12
- Full band and chorus rehearsals will take place during the regular school day as part of a student’s schedule. When necessary, rehearsals will take place in an alternate location (auditorium, cafeteria, outdoors, etc.) in order to maintain 12-ft spacing.
- Band and chorus lessons will be offered for students both in person and remotely. The schedule will not require students to miss the same class more than once per marking period.
We feel strongly that during this difficult time, many students draw strength from music. Music education is more than just playing an instrument or singing. It is immersing your child in a culture of successful students and teachers who care about education. We all know that school will not be the same as what we are used to, but we believe that making music together in any way can be a powerful experience for your child.
- Grades 4-6
2020 Best Communities for Music Education
Recognizing Lockport City School District for receiving the 2020 Best Communities for Music Education Award from The NAMM Foundation for the fifth consecutive year. The award recognizes the commitment and dedication of the Lockport City School District to music and the arts as innovative learning opportunities for a well-rounded education.
The Lockport City School District has been named one of 754 districts across the nation to be a Best Communities for Music Education recipient by The NAMM Foundation. The Lockport City School District demonstrates an unwavering commitment to providing comprehensive music education for all students. Congratulations!